10th edition of Agriculture Census data for 2015-16 released by Agriculture Ministry
On October 1, 2018, 10th Agriculture Census 2015-16 was released by the Agriculture Ministry.
It was first launched in 3rd February, 2016.
- As per the latest data, more women are participating in the farming sector with an overall increase of small and medium land holding farmers and tillers.
- The percentage of female operational land holders increased from 12.79% in 2010-11 to 13.87% in 2015-16.
- It also showed a decline of 1.53% of total operated area to 157.14 million hectare as compared to 159.59 million ha in 2010-11 data. And in terms of operated area women participation increased from previous 10.36% to 11.57%
- By the number of people tilling the land, Uttar Pradesh topped the chart followed by Bihar and Maharshtra.
- Uttar Pradesh had 23.82 million (16%) farmers and tillers in 2015-16, followed by Bihar at 16.41 million and Maharashtra with 14.71 million.
- In terms of total operated area: Rajasthan comes first followed by Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka.
- The total operational holdings aggregate to over 146 million hectares an increase of 5.33 per cent from 138 million in 2010-11.
- Among the states, the highest increase in number of operational holdings is topped by Madhya Pradesh followed by Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Kerala, Meghalaya, Karnataka and Nagaland.
- Goa has witnessed the sharpest fall and Manipur had the lowest in number of operational holdings.
- In terms of area 14 states account for 88.08% of operational holdings. They are: West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha , Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Karnataka, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Kerala.
- Around 86.21% of India’s cultivated and uncultivated land is under the small and marginal farmers holding less than 2 hectares of land. They have a share of 47.34% from previous have 44.31% five years earlier.
- Comparing this to the farmers holding 10 hectares and more account for just 0.57% and had a share of 9.04 per cent in the operated area.
- Semi-medium and medium operational holdings (2-10 ha) in 2015-16 were 13.22 per cent, with 43.61 per cent of operated area.
- The average size of agriculture landholding declined to 1.08 hectare in 2015-16 from 1.15 hectare in 2010-11.
- The individual, joint and institutional holdings have shown growth of 5.04%, 7.07% and 10.88%, respectively.
- The average size of farm holding was the highest in Nagaland at 5.06 hectares and the lowest in Kerala at 0.18 hectare.
i. Agriculture Census in India is conducted at five-year intervals to collect data on structural aspects of farm holdings.
ii. 1st census was conducted with reference year- 1970-71.
iii. Previous census was conducted in 2010-11.
iv. It is carried in three phases:
- On primary subjects like the numbers and area of operational holdings,
- A detailed one based on samples from 20% of villages in each tehsil on land use, irrigation status, tenancy particulars and
- On pattern of input use.
Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare:
♦ Union Minister: Shri Radha Mohan Singh.
♦ Minister of State: Shri. Purushottam R., Smt. Krishna Raj, Shri. Gajendra S.S.