On 17th December 2018, the Union Cabinet under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi apprised a stock of Memorandum of Understandings signed between India and the countries including Australia, France, Afghanistan and South Africa. Details of the decisions are explained below:
Cabinet approves signing of MoU between India and Australia for Cooperation in the Disability Sector
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that was signed between India and Australia for Cooperation in the Disability Sector at Sydney, Australia on 22nd November 2018 during the state visit of president Shri Ram Nath Kovind to Australia was apprised by the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The MoU is aimed to encourage cooperation between India and Australia, through joint initiatives in the disability sector.
- It will strengthen bilateral ties between India and Australia and will facilitate in improving rehabilitation of persons with disabilities especially for persons with intellectual disability and mental illness in both the countries.
- Both the nations will take up specific proposals in disability sector as mutually agreed upon, for implementation under the MoU.
Prime Minister:Scott Morrison
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding between India and France in the field of new and renewable energy
On 17th December 2018, the Union Cabinet apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding, which was signed between the Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI), India and Commissariat a l energieatomique et aux energies alternatives (CEA), French state-owned research entity and BlueStorage SAS, a French Company.
- The MoU was signed on October 3, 2018 in New Delhi in three originals each in Hindi, English and French language.
- The main objective of the agreement is to define the modalities of discussions concerning the future collaboration regarding a pilot project to provide SECI an e-vehicle charging station with embedded batteries, powered by solar panels and optimised connection to the grid.
- The MoU will also support the ambitious plan of the Indian government for the deployment of electrical vehicles, maximizing solar mobility and minimizing the impact on the electrical grid.
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding between India and Afghanistan in the field of human resource development
On 17th December 2018, the Union Cabinet approved signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in Human Resource Development (HRD) which will facilitate students and faculty of educational institutions in the neighbouring country to register and use the SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active –Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) courses.
- The MoU facilitates the students and faculty of educational institutions in Afghanistan to register and use the SWAYAM courses besides allowing them to upload on SWAYAM, the courses developed in Afghanistan.
- SWAYAM is MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) platform which offers various online courses prepared by the best faculty from across the country.
- The required training to students and faculty from Afghanistan and assistance in areas of Curriculum Development and Capacity Development of Teaching Staff would be imparted by MHRD, Government of India.
- The Indian government would also provide access and share the technology of other major ICT Initiatives in education such as National Digital Library of India (NDLI), virtual labs and spoken tutorials.
- There is also a proposal to establish Joint Master Degree Programmes between Indian and Afghanistan’s universities and institutions.
- The two countries have also agreed to sign an agreement on mutual recognition of academic qualifications.
Cabinet apprised of Joint Issue of Postage Stamps by India and South Africa
On 17th December 2018, the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi apprised of joint issue of postage stamps by India and South Africa on the theme “125th Year of Mahatma Gandhi’s Pietermaritzburg Station Incident and Birth Centenary of Nelson Mandela“.
- The MoU in this regard was signed on July 24 2018 and the joint stamps were released on July 26 2018.
- The images of “Mahatma Gandhi” of India and “Nelson Mandela” of South Africa are depicted on the Commemorative Postage Stamps.
About South Africa:
Capital:Pretoria (executive),Bloemfontein (judicial),Cape Town (legislative)
Currency:South African rand