Cabinet Approvals on August 10, 2018
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the following proposals.
Cabinet approved extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central List
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central List till November, 2018.
- Before finalizing the sub-categorized lists and the report, the commission had talks with State Governments, the State Backward Classes Commissions, various community associations and public about the issue.
- It also obtained caste-wise data of OBCs in various institutions like higher educational institutions, Central Departments, Central PSU etc.
Cabinet approved creation of two posts equivalent to Joint Secretary level in the Interpreters’ cadre of the Ministry of External Affairs
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the creation of two posts equivalent to Joint Secretary level in the Interpreters‘ cadre of the Ministry of External Affairs.
- It will help improving the Interpreters’ cadre and better training of the Interpreters.
- It will address requirements of high-level bilateral and multilateral engagements of the Government of India globally.
Cabinet approved transfer of Central Hospital at Karma, Jharkhand under the Labour Welfare Organisation for setting up a new Medical College
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved transfer of the Central Hospital at Karma, Jharkhand under the Ministry of Labour & Employment to the Jharkhand Government free of cost within 3 months.
- This would enable establishment of new Medical College under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS).
- This will lead to enhancement of number of doctors being trained per year in the country and better healthcare in regions in and around Karma, Jharkhand .
A 150 bedded Hospital (including a 50 bedded TB Hospital in same premises) was established by the Ministry of Labour & Employment at Karma, Jharkhand to cater to the needs of Mica mine/ Beedi workers.
Cabinet approved Concession Agreements & Land Lease Agreements for revival of Gorakhpur & Sindri units of FCIL and Barauni unit of HFCL by HURL
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the following proposals:
- To provide land on lease to Hindustan Urvarak & Rasayan Limited (HURL);
- To provide the Concession Agreements & Land Lease Agreements for the revival of Gorakhpur & Sindri units of Fertilizer Corporation of India Limited (FCIL) and Barauni unit of Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation Limited (HFCL) by HURL; and
- To authorize Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) to approve Substitution Agreements between FCIL/HFCL and HURL for the three projects at Gorakhpur, Sindri and Barauni.
- Lease Deeds signed with HURL by FCIL/HFCL will have a period of 55 years.
- HURL would pay a nominal Lease Rent of Rs.1 lakh per annum to the Lessor (FCIL/HFCL).
- HURL would carry out complete design, engineering, construction, procurement, testing, commissioning, operate and maintaining the fertilizer plants.
- These agreements would help to ensure investment in the fertilizer sector.
HURL, a Joint Venture company of NTPC, IOCL, CIL and FCIL/ HFCL was incorporated in June 2016 to implement the fertilizer revival projects at Gorakhpur, Sindri, and Barauni.
Cabinet approved raising of four additional battalions of National Disaster Response Force
On August 10, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved raising of four (4) additional battalions of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) at an estimated cost of Rs 637 crore.
- These four battalions will initially be raised as two battalions in Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and one battalion each in Border Security Force (BSF) and Assam Rifles (ARs).
- After converting them into NDRF battelions, they will be placed in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Delhi National Capital Region.
NDRF was created in the year 2006.
Cabinet approved release of pulses under Price Support Scheme to States with Central Subsidy of Rs. 15 per Kg for utilization under Welfare Schemes
On August 10, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the release of pulses to States/UTs at discounted rate under Price Support Schemes (PSS).
- Government will spend Rs. 5,237 crore for implementation of this Scheme.
- The States/UT Governments are offered a one-time dispensation for a period of 12 months or to lift 34.88 lakh MT of Tur, Chana, Masoor, Moong and Urad at discount of Rs.15 per Kg on a First come first serve basis.
- They would use the pulses for welfare schemes like Mid-Day Meal, Public Distribution System, Integrated Child Development Programmes (ICDP) etc.
Cabinet approved construction of New 4 – Lane Bridge on Kosi river at Phulaut , Bihar
On August 10, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, approved the project for construction of 6.930 km long 4-lane bridge at Phulaut in Bihar.
- There is a 10 km missing link between Phulaut and Bihpur on NH-106 which takes a detour of approximate 72 km. This bridge will take it down to 12 km.
- It will also fill the existing 30 km long gap between Udakishanganj and Bihpur of National Highway Number 106 in Bihar
- It will connect Nepal/ North Bihar/ East-West Corridor (passing through NH- 57) and South Bihar/ Jharkhand/ Golden Quadrilateral (passing through NH -2), besides full utilization of National Highway Number-31.
- It will generate direct employment of about 2.19 lakh man-days during construction.
- Along with this, up-gradation of existing Birpur- Bihpur section of National Highway-106 from Km 106 to Km 136 to ‘2 lane with Paved Shoulder’in Bihar was also approved.
- The estimated cost of the project would be Rs 1478.40 crore and would take 3 years (by June, 2022) to complete.
- With this the average speed on the highway which is below 20 km /hour can be 100 km/ hour.
Cabinet approved continuation and revision of “Post Matric Scholarship for OBC Students for studying in India”
On August 10, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the continuation and revision of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of “Post Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes Students for studying in India” (PMS-OBC) for the years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The estimated cost of the Scheme will be Rs.3,085 crore.
- The revised scheme will cover more OBC students and will ensure effective implementation and monitoring of the scheme.
The revised features are:
- Annual parental income will be increased from Rs. One Lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh.
- 30% of the funds allocated earmarked for girl students and 5% for students with disabilities.
- Disbursement of scholarships through Aadhaar seeded bank accounts.
- Since the Scheme is fund-limited, central assistance shall be released according to the Notional Allocation. The concept of Committed Liability shall not apply to States/UTs for releases.
“Post Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes Students for studying in India” (PMS-OBC) is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and has been in operation since 1998-99. It enables approximately 40 lakh OBC students to pursue higher study after class X per year.