Cabinet Approvals on June 13,2018
On June 13 The Union Cabinet gave approval to the following proposals:
Extension of tenure of the Commission constituted to examine the issue of Sub-categorization within Other Backward Classes in the Central List has been approved by the Cabinet
On June 13,2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the final extension of the term of the Commission formed to examine the Other Backward Classes in the Central List
- It was mandated upto June 20th 2018 which is now updated to July 31st 2018.
- The Commission obtained caste-wise records of OBCs admitted in higher educational institution as well as similar data of recruits in Central Departments, Central Public Sector Undertakings, Public Sector Banks & Financial Institutions.
- This extension was sought out to have a detailed look at the collected data.
Cabinet approves Restructuring of North Eastern Council , Home Minister nominated as Chairman.
On June 13, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) for the repositioning of posts in the North Eastern Council .
- Union Home Minister has been nominated as ex-officio Chairman of North Eastern Council The Cabinet also approved that Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of DoNER would serve as Vice Chairman of the Council.
- (NEC) – a statutory body with Governors and Chief Ministers of all the eight North Eastern States as its Member. It implements various projects through the State and Central agencies.
- It also performs the tasks undertaken by the various Zonal Councils to discuss such inter-State issues as drug trafficking, smuggling of arms and ammunition, boundary disputes etc.
Cabinet Approves Dam Safety Bill, 2018;National Committee on Dam Safety to be built.
On June 14, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal for introduction of Dam Safety Bill, 2018 .
To ensure safety of dams and safeguard benefits from such dams.
- For proper surveillance, inspection, operation and maintenance of all specified dams in the country to ensure their safe functioning.
- Constitution of a National Committee on Dam Safety for formulating policies of dam safety.
- Establishment of National Dam Safety Authority as a regulatory body for implementation of policies .
- Constitution of a State Committee on Dam Safety by State Government.
- There are over 5200 large dams in India and about 450 are under construction.
- The Dam Safety Bill, 2018 address all issues concerning dam safety including regular inspection of dams, Emergency Action Plan, comprehensive dam safety review, adequate repair and maintenance funds for dam safety, Instrumentation and Safety Manuals.
Cabinet Approved monetization of 3.70 acres of land at Pragati Maidan for running of a Hotel by a third party including private sector ; construction to be done by ITPO
On June 13,2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the monetization of 3.70 acres of land at Pragati Maidan by India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) on long-term leasehold basis for 99 years for construction and running of a Hotel by a third party including private sector through a transparent competitive bidding process.
- It is the Phase – I of redevelopment project of Pragati Maidan i.e. Integrated Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) Project.
- This project has an estimated cost of Rs. 2254 crore.
- seating capacity for 7,000 pax, exhibition, space of over 1,00,000 sq.mtr. and a basement parking for 4,800 vehicles.
- The funds raised from this would help built IECC project which will be used to hold Summit Level Meetings and Exhibitions/Events for trade promotion. It will benefit Indian trade and industry, and help increase India’s foreign trade.
- ITPO has stated that the entire project is expected to be completed by September 2019.
Withdrawal of Nalanda University (Amendment) Bill, 2013 pending in Rajya Sabha for reconsideration of previous provisions by the Governing board approved by Cabinet
On June 13,2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal for withdrawal of Nalanda University (Amendment) Bill, 2013.
- To amend certain existing provisions of the Nalanda University Act, 2010 and add some new provisions.
- The Amendment Bill will need to be discussed with the current Governing Board of Nalanda University before a final decision.
- The Nalanda University was established on the basis of a Joint Press Statement at the 4th East Asia Summit held in Thailand in October, 2009.
- The Nalanda University Act, 2010 was passed by the Parliament and came into effect from 25th November 2010.
- Teaching in the University was inaugurated by Smt.Sushma Swaraj, External Affairs Minister in September 2014. Hon’ble President of India is the Visitor of the University, Dr. Vijay Bhatkar, the Chancellor and Professor Sunaina Singh, is the Vice Chancellor.
- The University has 116 students in three schools of studies namely School of Historical Studies, School of Ecology and Environment Studies and School of Buddhist Studies. This includes 35 international students from 21 foreign countries.
Cabinet approved Three Year Action Plan of Agricultural Education Division & ICAR Institutes
On June 13, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of the Three Year Action Plan (2017-2020) of the scheme for Agricultural Education Division and ICAR Institutes with an outlay of Rs.2225.46 crore.
- Strengthening and Development of Higher Agricultural Education in India – Rs.2050.00 crore;
- ICAR-National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) – Rs. 24.25 crore.
- ICAR – Central Institute of Women in Agriculture (CIWA) including All India Coordinated Research Project on Home Science (AICRP-HS) – Rs.151.21 crore.
- Research on gender issues in agriculture and allied fields, formulating gender-equitable agricultural policies/programmes and gender-sensitive agricultural-sector responses will be undertaken by ICAR-CIWA.
- Enhancing of competencies and capacities of the stakeholders including farmers, young scientists, students and agri-industry in National Agricultural Research & Education System (NARES) by ICAR-NAARM.
Cabinet Approval of Additional share capital of M/s. HDFC Bank raised up to a maximum of Rs. 24,000 crore
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal for grant of permission to M/s. HDFC Bank Ltd. to raise additional share capital of up to a maximum of Rs. 24,000 crore.
- This would include premium, over and above the previous approved limit of Rs. 10,000 crore, such that the composite foreign shareholding in the Bank shall not exceed 74%.
- It will be subject to sectoral regulations / guidelines and Foreign Direct Investment Policy conditionalities.
- Strengthen the capital adequacy ratio of the bank.