Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Three-day MayyazhiMahotsavam kicked off in Mahe, Puducherry
The three-day MayyazhiMahotsavam(Fete de Mahe) celebrated from 29th November to 1st December at Mahe with a variety of programmes exhibiting the rich culture and tradition of the region, situated inside Keralato attract open public participation in that way fostering the feeling of oneness.
Organised by Department of Tourism and the Legislative Assembly Secretariat at Mahe AayiMandapam, the main venue witnessed the performance of artists of national and international acclamation.Seminar on “waste is wealth” and a debate was held.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Kerala Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala, Kerala CPM leader, KodiyeriBalakrishnan, Members of Parliament, R Radhakrishanan, N Gokulakrishan, MLAs, K Lakshminarayanan, Malladi Krishna Rao, V Bhalan
- Chairman of the Festival committee and Regional Administrator of Mahe- Mangalatte Dinesh
- President given assent Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Purpose:For women to work night shifts with mandatory safeguards for security
- Improvement in functioning of employees across sections and gender in over 40,000 small scale factories in Maharashtra and will ensure greater number of women in the sector and other labour reforms.
- State cabinet had given its nod for amending the Factories Act, 1948, to promote small and medium-scale industries last May. The decision is likely to give relief to the factories from the ‘inspector raj’ and to create 2 lakh new jobs.
Indian Railways inked Rs.40000cr deal of locomotive plants with GE
America’s General Electric i.e. GE and France’s Alstom inked deal with Indian Railways to set up high horse power diesel and electric engines at Bihar’s Marhowraand Madhepura at cost of Rs.40,000 crore(About 1,000 diesel locos in 11 years at a cost of Rs.14,656 crore and 800 electric locos in 11 years at Rs.19,904 crore).
- Marhowra plant – 4,500HP (horse power) and 6,000HP diesel engines, which can operate as 9,000HP and 12,000HP units.
- Madhepura will produce 12,000HP electric locomotives.
Use: For heavy haul freight operations in the dedicated freight corridors.
GE Transport India managing director Nalin Jain and Railway Board director Jayant Kumar signed for Marhowra plant
Alstom Transport India managing director Bharat Salhotra and Railway Board executive director Sudheer Kumar signed for Madhepura plant.
- GE Transport chief executive: Jamie Miller
- Alstom chief executive: Henri PoupartLafrage
As per UN International Telecommunications Union’s (ITU) flagship annual Measuring the Information Society Report (MISR), India has been ranked 131 out of 167 nations on a global index.
- The study had been made on 167 nations.
- The number of households with Internet and computer has been increased in India over the last 5 years still it gained a quite low position.
During United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris World leaders of 20 countries has launched the Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution across the world.
- Tagline – “Accelerating the Clean Energy Revolution”
- Aim – To reinvigorate and accelerate global clean energy
- Objective – To make clean energy widely affordable
UN chief launched Anticipate, Absorb, Reshape Initiative to build climate resilience
Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN) launched an initiative to build climate resilience initiative Anticipate, Absorb, Reshape, at the Paris climate conference, called as 21st Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Aim: To strengthen the ability of countries to anticipate hazards, absorb shocks, and reshape development to reduce climate risks that would assist address the needs people who live in at-risk coastal areas just a few meters above existing sea levelsand those living in areas at risk of droughts and floods.
Participants:FAO, UNEP, UNFCCC, UN-Habitat, UNICEF, UNESCO, UNFPA, UNOPS, UNISDR, WFP, OCHA, WHO, and WMO.
BANKING & FINANCE
Fifth Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2015-16 released by RBI
Reserve Bank of India’s Governor Dr. Raghuram G. Rajan has announced fifth bi-monthly monetary policy review in which key policy interest rate remained unchanged on the basis of current and evolving macroeconomic situation.
Current interest rates:
- Repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) – unchanged at 6.75%
- Reverse repo rate under the LAF – unchanged at 5.75%
- Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate has unchanged at 7.75%
- Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) of scheduled banks – Unchanged at 4.0% of net demand and time liability (NDTL).
Continuation of liquidity under overnight repos at 0.25 % of bank-wise NDTL at the LAF repo rate.Continuation of liquidity under 14-day term repos as well as longer term repos of up to 0.75 % of NDTL of the banking system through auctions.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Robert Lewandowski awarded with four Guinness World Record certificates for scoring five goals in nine minutes
Robert Lewandowski awarded with four world record certificates scoring five goals in nine minutes in September’s Bundesliga clash with Wolfsburg.He has scored the most goals by a replacementin the Bundesliga and the fastest Bundesliga hat-trick.It was also the fastest four goals in the league and the fastest to five.
Born in Warsaw, is a professional footballer who plays as a striker for German club Bayern Munich
Captain:Poland national team.
Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi gives away National Level Awards to Anganwadi Workers for Exceptional Achievement
The Minister of Women and Child Development Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi gave away National Level Awards to the selected Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) for Exceptional Achievement at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi for the years 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14.
- Government of India formulated a scheme for awarding AWWs at National Level and State Level in the year 2000-2001 under Sponsored by Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS).
National Level Awards to Anganwadi Workers :
- A total of 118 Anganwadi Workers have been selected for National Awards for the years 2011-12 (32), 2012-13 (32) and 2013-14 (54).
- The award at the National Level comprises of Rs.25,000/- cash and a citation.
About ICDS :
The Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme is the World’s largest integrated scheme working for children in India since last four decades.
Hinduja Brothers received lifetime achievement award at Asian Business Leadership Forum 2015
Hinduja Brothers were honored with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the 6th annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) in Delhi
- ABLF Royal Patron, H.H. Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, UAE, presented the award to Gopichand P Hinduja, Co-Chairman of Hinduja Group of Companies.
- This award recognizes the most powerful and influential business leaders.
Hinduja brothers :P Hinduja, GP Hinduja, Prakash Hinduja and Ashok Hinduja
Colombian film Embrace of The Serpent adjudged best film of 46th IFFI
Colombian film Embrace of Serpent (Directed by Ciro Guerra and Produced by Cristina Gallego) took the first prize the Golden Peacock Award at the 46th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) Goa fest. The Golden Peacock award carries a sum of Rs.40 lakh.
- Special Mention:Enclave(Serbian film) directed by GoranRadovanovic
- Best director:British filmmaker Peter Greenaway for his English and Spanish language “Eisenstein in Guanajuato”.
- Best actor(Male):Vincent Lindonfor StephaneBrize’s French film “The Measure of a Man.”
- Best actor(Female):GunesSensoy, DogaDoguslu, TugbaSunguroglu, ElitIscan and IlaydaAkdoganfor DenizGamzeErguven’s Turkish film “Mustang”.
- Special jury award: Julia Vargas’ Bolivian film “Sealed Cargo”.
- UNESCO-Fellini medal: Indian filmmaker KaushikGangulyfor his Bengali-language “Cinemawalla.”
- Lifetime achievement award:Oscar-winning Russian filmmaker Nikita Mikhalkov
- Minister of State, Information and Broadcasting: RajyavardhanRathore
- Goa CM : LaxmikantParsekar
Dr Abdul Kalam IGNITE award presented by President Pranab Mukherjee
The APJ Abdul Kalam Ignite Awards 2015 at the Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad (IIM-A), President Pranab Mukherjee praised the innovative thinking school students shownthrough their works and 31 ideas by 42 students bagged awards.
- CM Anandiben Patel observed two inventionspresented at the exhibition — a solar seeder(tractor) and an adjustable handcart.
- President called the Ignite 2015 awards named after former President APJ Abdul Kalam a ‘fitting tribute’ to his memory and highlighted innovation as the key to economic development.
Attended by: Governor of Gujarat OP Kohli, Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel Organised by: National Innovation Foundation (NIF) and IIM-A.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Anil Kumble resigns as chief mentor of Mumbai Indians
Anil Kumble has stepped down as the Chief Mentor of Indian Premier League team Mumbai Indian.He was associated with the Indian Premier League team since January 2013.
About Anil Kumble :
- Kumble is India’s highest wicket-taker in both Tests and one-dayers.
- In his first year as the Mentor, Mumbai Indians won the IPL and the Champions League in 2013. Mumbai Indians won the IPL once again in 2015.
- Kumble has played 42 IPL matches and has scalped 45 wickets at an outstanding T20 economy of 6.61. Kumble called it quits from IPL in 2012 and became the mentor of RCB before taking up the same role in Mumbai Indians.
Ashwin zooms to 2nd, de Villiers slips in ICC ranks
Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin rose to the second in the ICC Test rankings for bowlers from 5th position even as AB de Villiers lost his top spot in the batsmen standings.
Others Position :
- James Anderson and Yasir Shah drop to joint to third, while Stuart Broad fell to fifth.Australian pacerJosh Hazlewood soared 10 places to 10th.
- Amit Mishra up two to 31st who joins Imran Tahir up by 14 places to 35th in while Black Caps bowler DougBracewell is one place and a single point further back in 36th after gaining four places.
- Australia captain Steven Smith and England’s Joe Root have regained joint pole position to third.
- Murali Vijay is the top ranked India batsman in 12th position, while his captain Virat Kohli has moved up one place to 16th and there were also gains for Shikhar Dhawan (up one to 32nd) and wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha up 10 to 92nd. JP Duminy also moved up three places to 40th position.
Yuki, Somdev drop two places each in singles rankings
Country’s number one singles player Yuki Bhambri lost two places to be 93rd , while Somdev Devavarman also slipped to 181 in the latest ATP list.
ATP ranking list :
- Saketh Myneni India’s number two was unchanged at 171.
- Ramkumar Ramanathan jumped 13 places to 260.
- Rohan Bopanna maintaining his world number nine rank and Leander Paes (41) and Purav Raja (93). Myneni was at 126, Divij Sharan lost three places to 134.
WTA rankings :
- Sania Mirza continues to be world number one, a position which she shares with her Swiss partner Martina Hingis.
- In singles, Ankita Raina was the highest-ranked Indian player at number 255. The next best was Prerna Bhambri at number 473.
Russian legendary film Director Eldar Ryazanov passes away
Film director Eldar Ryazanov(88) who satirized and romanticized the life of ordinary Russians in his immensely popular comedies for almost six decades has died in Russia.
About Eldar Ryazanov :
- Ryazanov directed almost 30 films, most of which became box-office hits and spawned countless Russian catchphrases and popular jokes.
- His films ridiculed Soviet bureaucracy and lifestyle, but the lightness of his satires helped him dodge Communist censorship.Comedy film ‘The Irony of Fate’ is his most popular film in USSR .
He has received the USSR State Prize in 1977.He was named as a top USSR artistry tittle in 1984. He has won the Nika Award for Best Director in 1991.
World AIDS Day
World AIDS Day is observed on 1 December every year since 1988. It raises awareness across the world and in the community about the issues surrounding HIV and AIDS.
- It is a day for people to show their support for people living with HIV and to commemorate people who have died.
- It is one of the eight officialglobal public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization(WHO)
Theme : “Getting to Zero: Zero new HIV infections. Zero discrimination. Zero AIDS related deaths”