Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Reading comprehension, which is BASED ON Bank EXAMS 2018 !!!
Directions (Q.1-10): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain parts are given in bold to answer some of the questions based on the passage.
While adopting a technology, Indians have made changes to their attitudes and societal norms but often also made the technology work around their instincts. One area where the law of the jungle seems to prevail is the road, especially in cities. As a rule, typically, two-wheelers and cars don’t consider lanes important. We don’t want to wait our turn but keep jumping lanes and wading around obstacles. We seem to be possessed by a primal urge to get ahead of others even if it means the driver of the car or the two-wheeler rider on the other lane has to jam hard on his brakes.
Over the next 15 years, however, Indian driving is likely to be disrupted by electric vehicles that the Indian government seems keen on introducing, without transitioning to hybrids. Far less polluting and carbon-emitting, the electric car, however, poses a challenge to Indian driving practices. The motor is much quieter than the engine and the transmission system has fewer parts too. “All one hears is wind, tyre and road noise, which is minimal in city driving,” says Mahesh Babu, CEO of Mahindra Electric. Imagine thousands of cars moving around, quietly, on our roads. Electric motors are among the perkiest prime movers. After starting, they can very quickly ramp up to full speed, unlike the internal combustion engine that needs to idle and takes time to increase speed. “Instant torque and quick acceleration,” sums up Mr. Babu. Maximum torque is available for a range of speeds too.
Another crucial, efficiency-boosting attribute of the electric car will be regenerative braking. t’s a cute application of an old physics law where the electric motor powering the car can reverse its role, becoming a generator and charging the battery. The generator load is the resistance that provides braking torque and it can be varied if you want to just bring down the speed, not stop the car altogether.Electric cars present a unique opportunity for Indian drivers. Instead of tamping down the technology, we can instead change our habits — be mindful of lanes, wait our turn, be polite and respectful of others and their needs, and make our driving smoother, as well as make best use of regenerative braking.
- How do Indians adopt new technologies ?
1. with full consciousness
2. use it with utmost care and using it productively
3. refrain from sharing it
4. mould it according to our habits
5. do not care about its judicious use
- What is the reason for imminent disruption in Indian style of driving ?
1. hybrid and electric cars will pollute lesser than conventional ones
2. driving will be safer
3. electric cars will be difficult to maintain
4. driving electric vehicles will be easy
5. getting accustomed to electric vehicles would be difficult
- Which one of the following is most similar in meaning to “WADING” ?
- Electric vehicles pose a challenge to Indian style of driving because
1. cost of running them is high
2. electric vehicle charging infrastructure is weak
3. existing roads not compatible with hybrid vehicles
4. electric vehicles can lead to more accidents
5. lack of awareness among the road users
- According to the passage, which of the following statements is not true ?
1. electric cars will reduce noise pollution and hence better than existing cars
2. hybrid vehicles are far less polluting and carbon emitting
3. adopting electric vehicles would be a huge challenge
4. electric cars accelerate very quickly
5. electric cars will be beneficial in the long run after initial costs
- Which one among the following statements represent the writer’s opinion ?
1. time is not right to implement hybrid vehicles
2. electric cars can boost the economy
3. indian driving practices is not suited to electric cars
4. Both 1 and 2
5. Both 1 and 3
- How regenerative braking is efficient ?
1. braking can itself be done by the electric motor
2. it helps in instant torque
3. it can reduce acceleration in a short period of time
4. handling it is much simpler
5. Both 1 and 2
- What can you infer from the phrase “TAMPING DOWN” ?
1. to lead to an accident
2. crush someone
3. toning of rules
4. reduce importance of something
5. Both 1 and 2
- What all habitual aspects needs to be corrected according to the passage ?
1. be mindful of lanes
2. respecting other needs
3. waiting for our turn
4. Both 1 and 3
5. 1, 2 and 3
- Which one of the following is the most similar in meaning to the word “PERKIEST”