FIFA World Cup 2018 – Overview
FIFA World Cup, an international football tournament, is contested by the men’s national teams of the member associations of FIFA once every four years. FIFA 2018 was the 21st edition of the tournament. This was the first World Cup to be held in Eastern Europe.
- The Official Emblem was designed by Brandia Central, a brand consulting agency based in Lisbon, Portugal.
- The shape of the Official Emblem of Russia 2018 has an outline of World Cup trophy and has bold use of red, gold, black and blue representing Russian art and Russian Flag.
- Zabivaka – “the one who scores” (in Russian) is a wolf who radiates fun, charm and confidence was the Official mascot of FIFA World Cup 2018.
- It has brown and white fur, wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words “RUSSIA 2018” and orange sports goggles.
- This was designed by Ekaterina Bocharova.
- It took place in Russia from 14 June to 15 July 2018 in 12 venues from 11 Russian cities.
- There were 32 teams from 5 confederations.
- Finals took place on 15th July at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, with France and Croatia competing for the World Cup.
- FIFA World Cup-2022 will be hosted by Qatar.
Champions: France (2nd title)
Third place: Belgium
Fourth place: England
- France won the title with a 4-2 goal against Croatia.
- This is their second world cup title since 1998.
- This result marked the first time that nations from the same continent won four consecutive tournaments (following Italy in 2006, Spain in 2010 and Germany in 2014).
|Golden Ball||Luka Modrić||Croatia|
|Silver Ball||Eden Hazard||Belgium|
|Bronze Ball||Antoine Griezmann||France|
|Golden Boot||Harry Kane(6 goals, 0 assists)||England|
|Silver Boot||Antoine Griezmann(4 goals, 2 assists)||France|
|Bronze Boot||Romelu Lukaku(4 goals, 1 assist)||Belgium|
|Golden Glove||Thibaut Courtois||Belgium|
|Best Young Player||Kylian Mbappé||France|
|FIFA Fair Play Award||Spain|
- This was the first World Cup to be held in Eastern Europe and 11th time to have been held in Europe.
- For the first time, the tournament took place on two continents – Europe and Asia.
- All but two of the stadium venues ,Sochi and Yekaterinburg, were in European Russia.
- At an estimated cost of over $14.2 billion, it is the most expensive World Cup ever.
- It was also the first World Cup to use the video assistant referee (VAR) system.
- Iceland and Panama made their first appearances at a FIFA World Cup.
- 64 matches were played.
- 169 goals were scored.
|Position||Amount (million USD)|
|5th–8th place (quarter-finals)||16||64|
|9th–16th place (round of 16)||12||96|
|17th–32nd place (group stage)||8||128|