Minister of External Affairs visit to Italy, France Luxembourg and Belgium
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj embarked on a seven-day tour to Europe on 17 June to strengthen ties with Italy, France, Luxembourg and Belgium
Visit to Italy
Swaraj discusses bilateral relations with Italian PM
On June 18,2019, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj congratulated newly-elected Italian Prime Minister Professor Giuseppe Conte and had talks focused on forging bilateral cooperation across varied sectors.
- It was the first such major political discussion after Mr. Conte’s election.
- They also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
- They also discussed the foreign policies of the two countries.
India, Italy agreed to revitalise ties
On June 18,2018,marks the 70th year of establishment of diplomatic ties between India and Italy.
- They agreed for a meeting on Joint Commission for Economic Cooperation (JCEC) in India in 2018.
- India welcomed Italy’s participation as a partner country at the Tech Summit in India to be held in November 2018.
Visit to France
Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj met Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, Jean-Yves Le Drian on the occasion of the Indo-French strategic partnership’s 20th anniversary.
A bilateral Letter of Intent was signed between India and France
On June 19,2018, External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj announced a bilateral Letter of Intent was signed between India and France in her presence on cooperation in the field of conservation of pre-historic ornate caves and rock shelters.
- This was signed between the ministry of culture of India and the ministry of culture of France .
- It would aid conservation efforts at the Bhimbetka caves in India and the caves of Lascaux and Chauvet in France.
India to construct war memorial in France
On June 19, 2018, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj announced the construction of a war memorial at Villers Guislain, a town around 200 km from Paris.
- This would be constructed to honour the valour and sacrifice of the thousands of its soldiers, sailors and airmen who fought for peace in the World War I.
- India will construct an Indian Armed Forces Memorial at Villers Guislain.
- It will be the second such memorial in Europe.
- She handed over certificates of appreciation to Indian community organisation and individuals who have contributed to the Swacch Bharat Kosh.
- Shealso attended a ceremony held to name the Indian Culture Centre in the memory of Swami Vivekanand.
- She also visited the India House, Maison de l’Inde, which is a hostel for Indian students in the University City of Paris.
- She unveiled a plaque at the India Hostel to commemorate the golden jubilee of the landmark building.
- She also released a publication ‘States of India’ which would increase awareness of the business climate in various states of India.
Visit to Luxembourg
On June 20,2018, External Affairs Minister of India, Smt. Sushma Swaraj visited Luxembourg.
- This year marks as the 70th year of diplomatic ties and the first ever visit to Luxembourg by an External Affairs Minister from India.
- On her visit Swaraj met Hon’ble Grand Duke of Luxembourg His Royal Highness Henri Albert Gabriel Félix Marie Guillaume.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Mr. Xavier Bettel, the Prime Minister of Luxembourg discussed on a wide range of issues including enhancing bilateral and India-EU trade and investment ties, digital and space cooperation, fintech and diaspora contribution.
Visit to Belgium
EAM Sushma Swaraj says India & European Union stand united in face of global peace & security challenges
On June 22,2018, MEA Sushma Swaraj spoke of India and EU’s stand for global peace and security.
- Sushma Swaraj said India looks forward to the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit which is scheduled to be held in October 2018.
- India has agreed to cooperate on global issues and work together on climate change.
EAM Sushma Swaraj meets Belgian Deputy PM & Foreign Minister Didier Reynders in Brussels
On June 23,2018, External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj met Belgian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Didier Reynders and undertook a comprehensive review of bilateral ties and exchanged views on regional and multilateral issues.
- Swaraj also met her European Union counterpart Federica Mogherini and discussed on a range of issues including counterterrorism, maritime security, trade and investment.
- They exchanged views on creating the conditions to increase trade and investment flows and EU’s data protection regime.