NCERT conducts largest ever survey to assess learning levels
National Achievement Survey (NAS), the largest ever assessment survey on national level was conducted by National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) across India on November 13, 2017 to ascertain learning level of students. This survey has been amongst the largest national level surveys in the world.
More Information about National Achievement Survey (NAS):
NAS was conducted for the Classes 3, 5 and 8 in government and government aided schools.
- Survey Tools: Multiple test booklets with 45 questions in Classes III and V related to language, mathematics and 60 questions in Class VIII in Mathematics, Language, Sciences and Social Sciences. Questionnaires pertaining to students, teachers and schools were also used.
- The learning levels of more than 25 lakhs students from 110000 schools across 700 districts in all 36 States/UTs were assessed through this survey.
- A monitoring team comprising observers from inter-ministerial departments drawn from the State Governments, National and State Observers from Education Departments and multi-lateral organizations was also deployed to ensure the fairness of the survey.
- The survey was conducted by deploying 75 lakh trained Field Investigators from outside the government education system. Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister, Prakash Javadekar stated that the NAS is a transparent and credible exercise done under third party verification.
National Achievement Survey (NAS) – Utility:
Software specially designed for NAS will generate, district wise learning report cards.
- Based on these learning report cards, analytical reports reflecting the disaggregated and detailed learning levels will be prepared within 3-5 months.
- The inferences drawn from the analytical reports will be used to design classroom interventions.
- Findings from NAS will not only help in assessing the effectiveness of current education system, but also in framing future education policy.