On October 7, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind commenced his 3-day visit to Tajikistan till October 9, 2018.
i. The presidential visit lasted for 3 days from October 7-9, 2018.
ii. Minister of State for Defence Shubhash Bhamre and Rajya Sabha member Shamsher Singh Manhas are also part of the president’s official delegation.
iii. He held talks with:
- Tajik president Emamoli Rahmon,
- Tajik Prime Minister Kohir Rasulzada,
- Speaker of Parliament Shukurjon Zuhurov, and Speaker of the Lower House (Majlisi Namoyandagon) of Parliament.
iv. He also visited the Tajik National University.
v. He also paid his respects to Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore at their memorials in Dushanbe.
vi. He also paid his respects at the Ismail Somani Memorial.
vii. Tajikistan agreed on its support to India’s candidature for permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council.
viii. Tajikistan showed its support to India’s membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation which will boost strategic ties.
ix. Right before his way back to India, he also visit the Ayni Air Force Base of Tajikistan.
3-day visit commenced:
- On October 7, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind reached Dushanbe, Tajikistan and commenced his 3-day visit to the Central Asian Country at the invitation of His Excellency Mr. Emomali Rahmon, President of Republic of Tajikistan.
- He received by Deputy Prime Minister of Tajikistan Zokirzoda Mahmad Toir.
- The President of India Ram Nath Kovind was accorded a guard of honour on his welcome.
Addressing the Indian diaspora:
On October 7, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind was welcomed at a reception named “Friends of India in Tajikistan” in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- He was welcomed by the Indian Diaspora at the ICC centre in Dushanbe.
- The reception was hosted by Mr Somnath Ghosh, Ambassador of India to Tajikistan.
- Here, he addressed the people with assurance of continued cooperation for capacity building and development.
- He also appraised the work of Tajikistan’s Indologists and re-called on the Padma Shri conferred on Indologist, Prof. Habibullo Rajabov for his contribution in education and literature.
Meeting with President of Tajikistan:
On October 8, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind met his Tajikistan counterpart Mr. Emomali Rahmon in Dushanbe.
i. They held talks on:
Bilateral cooperation and collaboration in the fields of defence, trade and investment, tourism, health and development partnership.
ii. Both the countries singed the following 9 MOUs:
- Political relations: MOU between Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India for the period 2018-2021.
- Strategic research:MOU between The Centre for Strategic Researches under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan and Vivekananda International Foundation, New Delhi.
- Agriculture: MOU between Academy of Agricultural Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India.
- Renewable energy: MOU between Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy of the Republic of India.
- Traditional medicine: MOU between State Educational Establishment “Tajik State Medical University named after Abuali Ibn Sino”and the Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, an Organization under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- Space technology: MOU between Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Government of the Republic of India,
- Youth affairs : MOU between the Committee on Youth Affairs and Sports under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Republic of India.
- Disaster Management: MOU between Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Government of the Republic of India.
- Culture: MOU between the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of India for cultural exchange for the years 2019-2023.
ii. The President of India announced allocation of a grant of USD 20 Million to Tajikistan for implementation of development projects of Tajikistan.
iii. They called for early adoption of the “Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism” by the United Nations General Assembly.
iv. Both the leader showed string support towards development of the International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) to reduce time and cost of transport and expand corridors.
v. The President of Republic of Tajikistan invited Indian investments in free economic zones in Tajikistan.
vi. Establishment of a Joint Business Council to explore and increase trade on the following:
Information technology and electronic devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, weaving and textiles, silk and leather products, mining, hydropower and renewable energy.
vii. Developing human resources and capacity building under Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) Programme to provide training and education programmes in Tajikistan.
viii.They agreed on commemoration of memory of the great Tajik poet, Hero of Tajikistan, Mirzo Tursunzoda.
ix. Bilateral and multilateral cooperation in promoting peace and stability in Afghanistan.
India shares 26 years of diplomatic relations with Tajikistan.
Lecture On ‘Countering Radicalisation: Challenges In Modern Societies’ At The University Of Tajikistan:
On October 8, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind delivered lecture on the theme of ‘Countering Radicalisation: Challenges in Modern Societies’ at the University of Tajikistan in Dushanbe.
i. His lecture was addressed to 2 reasons:
- First, acknowledging Tajikistan’s efforts against terrorism and
- Second, on the internal battle against terrorism, extremism and radicalism that must be fought, primarily, in the minds of people and society at large.
ii. He emphasized on the positive role that a family plays against terrorism.
iii. Thus the family-based social structure is a guarantee against extremist ideas.
Meeting with other delegates:
On October 9, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind met Prime Minister of Tajikistan Kohir Rasulzada.
i. The President also met Mr. Shukurjon Zuhurov, Chairman, Majlisi Namoyandagon (Lower House of Parliament) and interacted on wide-ranging issues.
♦ Capital: Dushanbe.
♦ Currency: Tajikistani somoni.
♦ President: Emomali Rahmon.
♦ Prime Minister: Kohir Rasulzada.