On 11th March 2019, Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu is on a 2 Nation visit to Paraguay and Costa Rica. He was accompanied by a high-level delegation including the Minister of State for Tourism K J Alphons, the Members of Parliament and Senior Officials.
Vice President on a 2 day visit to Paraguay
Vice President, Venkaiah Naidu met President of the Republic of Paraguay Mario Abdo Benitez, Vice President Hugo Velazquez and the President of the National Congress Silvio Ovelar. This was the first high level visit from India to Paraguay since the establishment of diplomatic relations in 1961.
Vice President made a key note address at India-Paraguay Business Forum
Venkaiah Naidu attended India-Paraguay Business Forum which will form basis for economic growth by boosting business opportunities between the two countries.
The forum mainly aims to provide platforms for policy makers, think tanks, academics and business people to engage in a manner that will motivate fresh policy thinking and innovative solutions to the challenges faced in the region.
Vice President unveiled a special commemorative postage stamp on Mahatma Gandhi
Venkaiah Naidu along with Vice President of Paraguay Hugo Velazquez unveiled a special commemorative postage stamp on Mahatma Gandhi and remembered his contributions on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi. Vice President requested Paraguay to collaborate to install a bust of Mahatma Gandhi at a prominent location in Asuncion.
Other Highlights of the visit
- India and Paraguay agreed to promote bilateral investment and explore new areas of collaboration. He signed MoU between the Diplomatic and Consular Academy under ministry of Foreign Affairs of Paraguay and Foreign Service Institute under Ministry of External Affairs of India.
- Venkaiah Naidu was received by Paraguay’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hugo Saguier Caballero. Both the countries signed agreements for Cooperation and Development in the field of agriculture, solar energy, healthcare, pharmaceutical, Information and communication technology and biotechnology.
- Shri Naidu addressed Indian Diaspora in Paraguay at an Indian community reception. He invited Indian and Paraguayan business to partner with each other for trade, technology and investment collaboration.
- Paraguay will support India in the fight against terrorism. Paraguay also assured that it will join International Solar Alliance, an initiative by India and France.
♦ Capital: Asuncion
♦ Currency: Guarani
♦ President: Mario Abdo Benitez
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu’s visit to Costa Rica
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu visited Republic of Costa Rica which is the first ever high level visit from India to the Nation. He addressed Indian Community in Costa Rica.
Highlights of the visit
- President of Costa Rica and Vice President Venkaiah Naidu made a joint press statement. Vice President also conferred and honorary doctorate by the University of Peace founded by the United Nations for his contributions “to the Rule of Law, democracy and sustainable development in India”.
- India and Costa Rica signed two documents during the Venkaiah Naidu’s visit. There were fruitful and cordial exchanges covering a range of areas of mutual interest spanning bilateral, multilateral and regional fields.
- Vice President addressed India-Costa Rica Business Forum. Both the countries collaborate in areas such as Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology, Agriculture and Food Processing, Digital Sciences and Telecommunications, renewable energy, Space Research and Climate Change.
About Costa Rica
♦ Capital: San Jose
♦ Currency: Colon
♦ President: Carlos Alvarado Quesada