PM’s Two day Visit to China
The 18th Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit was held in Qingdao, China.
Qingdao declaration: SCO summit adopts declaration calling for 3-year plan to combat terrorism.
On June 11, 2018, the 18th SCO summit concluded with the adoption of ‘Qingdao Declaration’.
The SCO Action plan for 2019 to 2020 was also signed. This is the first time India is participating as a full member of the Shanghai Co-operation Organization (SCO) .
- The declaration calls for implementing the three-year plan to combat terrorism, separatism and extremism.
- Aims at long-term good neighbourliness, friendship and co-operation.
- Major issue like economic cooperation, security, regional peace and the ways to tackle terrorism were discussed.
- A total of 22 documents have been signed by the SCO countries, including preventing radicalization of youth and prevention of narcotics.
- PM Modi stressed on the importance of connectivity with the SCO nations and its neighborhood which is India’s priority.
- Co-operation in the fields of Agriculture, Water Resources and Pharma were sought out.
- Increasing awareness and shared cultures would increase tourism as only 6% of the foreign tourists in India is from the SCO countries.
- Concept of SECURE: ‘S‘ for security for citizens, ‘E‘ for economic development, ‘C’ for connectivity in the region, ‘U‘ for unity, ‘R‘ for respect of sovereignty and integrity, and‘E for environment protection was coined by PM Modi.
- He also called for setting up a specific roadmap for the 25th anniversary of SCO in 2026 for the organisation to grow.
SCO Summit 2018 to focus on security, terrorism, drug control
On June 10,2018, the 2018 SCO summit concluded. It focused on security , terrorism and drug control.
- Three evil forces comprising of terrorism, extremism, and separatism are main focus of the summit according to head of international cooperation department of the Ministry of Public Security Liao Jinrong .
- Cracking down on cross-border crimes, drug control, safeguarding information security, and enhancing border controls are to be done.
- India and Pakistan became the permanent members of the SCO in June 2017 at the Astana summit in Kazakhstan.
PM Modi calls for meaningful cooperation of SCO member countries towards security, economic development & connectivity in the region
On June 10,2018, PM Modi calls for the increased connectivity and cooperation among the SCO nations.
- Citing Afghanistan’s example to cease fire for the Eid festival was commended by the PM a
- The SCO currently has eight member countries which represents around 42 per cent of the world’s population and 20 per cent of the global GDP.
- Connectivity among the countries would encourage tourism, mutual respect and growth.
India, China sign 2 agreements on Brahmaputra water data sharing & non-basmati rice export
On June 9, 2018, On the sidelines of the SCO summit India and China signed 2 agreements on Brahmaputra water data sharing and non-basmati rice export.
- The data sharing on the cross border flow of Brahmaputra river will be for the flood season.
- The chinese side would provide hydrological data from May 15 to October 15 when the river is prone to floods if the water level exceeds a mutually agreed level.
- Mou between Chinese Administration of Customs and Department of Agriculture on the non-basmati rice exports from India to China.
- This was the 14th meeting between Prime minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
India, China to jointly identify project
On June 9,2018, India and China agreed on jointly undertaking an economic project in Afghanistan.
- This project would be focused on the area of capacity building in Afghanistan.
- This was decided in the informal meeting held in Wuhan in April 2018.
- Through the economic corridor the trade between the two countries may rise up to $100 billion in 2020.
- China to encourage export of high quality pharmaceutical products from India.
- Other than this China would expand financial cooperation by establishing a branch of Bank of China in Mumbai.
India, Uzbekistan review bilateral ties
On June 11, 2018, On the sidelines of the SCO Summit 2018, India and Uzbekistan reviewed bilateral ties for boosting economic and cultural links.
- India and Uzbekistan would route their trade through the Chabahar Port of Iran.
- Establishment of industrial parks and an investment zone in Uzbekistan is under consideration.
- India, Iran and Afghanistan has partnered to establish a International Transport and Transit Corridor to connect Chabahar with Afghanistan and Central Asia.
- Uzbek deputy Prime Minister Mr. Mirziyoyev would be visiting New Delhi .
Indian PM had a meeting with the President of Iran Mr. Hassan Rouhani on the joint comprehensive point of Action called the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. Moscow has an important role in this . India is an importer of Iranian oil.
About SCO Summit:
The summit included Chinese President Xi, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and Pakistan President MamnoonHussain. The SCO was founded at a summit in Shanghai in 2001 by the presidents of Russia, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. India and Pakistan became its members in 2017. It is a counter organization to NATO.