Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana’, an ambitious village development project under which each MP will take the responsibility of developing physical and institutional infrastructure in three villages by 2019.
PM Modi unveiled the blueprint of the scheme on the birth anniversary of social activist Jaiprakash Narayan, who led the mid-1970s political movement against the then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Key features of the ‘Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana’:
- A Member of Parliament must identify a village, other than his or her own village or that of the spouse, and turn it into a ‘model village’ by 2016 and two more villages two by 2019. After 2019, the MP must develop five model villages till 2024 (each every year).
- MPs must identify villages from nearby rural areas not their urban constituencies.
- The scheme will put special focus on empowering the poor household to come out of poverty by developing a plan for every identified gram panchayat.
- The Yojna aims at turning villages into model villages not only by infrastructure development but also by gender equality, dignity of women, social justice, community service, cleanliness, eco-friendliness, peace and harmony.
- Mutual-cooperation, self reliance, local self-government, transparency and accountability in public life will also be expected.
- Social mobilization and a systematic environment will be created in the model village led and guided by the MP him/herself.
- The District Collector will coordinated the planning process of the Gram Panchayat which will be a participatory exercise.