Smart Ganga City Scheme Launched in Ten Cities
Union Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Uma Bharti and Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu launched Smart Ganga City Scheme in 10 cities located along Ganga to set up Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) and improve drainage.
The 10 Cities:
|The Scheme bound 10 Cities|
- These cities has been chosen by the National Mission for Clean Ganga where the programme will be established in the first phase for infrastructure development for sewage treatmenton hybrid annuity mode on public private partnership basis.
- While addressing launching function the Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Uma Bharti said district level mentoring committees will be constituted to monitor the speedy implementation of Namami Gange programme.
- The first phase only covers ten cities and more cities would be added in the future also involvement of district administration and municipal body is key to success of this program.
Namami Ganga Programme:
- Namami Ganga Yojana is an ambitious Union Government Project to clean and protect the Ganga River in a comprehensive manner.
- In the maiden budget Union Finance Minister ArunJaitley announced an integrated Ganga development project titled Namami Ganga and allocated Rs.2,037 crore for this purpose.