Swaraj on 2-day visit to Samarkand,Uzbekistan to attend first India Central Asia dialogue
On 12th January 2018, Foreign Minister, Sushma Swaraj left for a two-day visit to Uzbekistan to attend the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue which was held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- The Dialogue was focused on a plethora of regional issues including enhancing connectivity to war-ravaged Afganistan.
- The Foreign Minister of Afghanistan participated in the dialogue as a special invitee dedicated to connectivity issues in the region.
- Foreign Ministers of Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan and Deputy Foreign Minister of Kazakhstan also participated in the event.
♦ Capital: Tashkent
♦ Currency: Uzbekistani Som
♦ Capital: Kabul
♦ Currency: Afghan Afghani
EAM Sushma Swaraj Co-Chair first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue held in samarkand,Uzbekistan
On 12th January 2019, External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue which was held in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. The dialogue concluded on 13th January 2019.
- The Dialogue is expected to strengthen India’s engagement with all the Central Asian nations.
- The Dialogue between India and the Central Asian Countries including Afghanistan will enhance cooperation in wide-ranging spheres including exploring ways to substantially enhance India’s economic involvement in business and development sector of central Asia.
Ministry of External Affairs
♦ Union Minister: Sushma Swaraj
♦ Minister of State: General (Retired) Vijay Kumar Singh
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi
India, 5 Central Asian nations back inclusive peace process in Afghanistan
On 13rd January 2019, India and the five other Central Asian countries backed an inclusive peace process in Afghanistan that would be Afghan-owned and Afghan-led in the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue.
- A Joint statement issued by the India and the Central Asian countries condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations at the end of the dialogue
- Indian Foreign Minister reiterated India’s commitment to the economic reconstruction of the war-torn Afghanistan.
Sushma Swaraj and Uzbek Foreign Minister Kamilov hold talks on the Sidelines of the Dialogue
Sushma Swaraj and her Uzbekistan counterpart Abdulaziz Komilov held talks on the sidelines of the dialogue to discuss the measures for stepping up bilateral cooperation in a number of areas including trade, economy, defence and IT.
EAM Sushma Swaraj met the Foreign Minister of Turkmenistan Rasit Meredow on the sidelines of the Dialogue
On 13th January 2019, Sushma Swaraj held discussion with Turkmenistan’s Foreign Minister, Rasit Meredow on the sidelines of the dialogue to enhance bilateral cooperation across sectors.