On October 1, 2018, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres arrived in New Delhi on his three-day visit to India will October 4, 2018.
i. This is the 2nd visit of Guterres to India as he had visited India in July 2016, just months ahead of the election for Secretary General.
ii.It coincided with 149th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday.
i. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres addressed the following:
- 1st Assembly of the International Solar Alliance,
- 2nd Energy ministers meet of the Indian Ocean Rim Association member countries and
- 2nd Re-invest 2018.
ii. He participated in the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention.
iii. He also attended the ‘Champions of Earth’ ceremony.
iv. He gave an address at the India Habitat Centre on Global Affairs.
v. He also visited Golden Temple in Amritsar.
Adressing the 3 meetings:
n October 2, 2018, Secretary General, United Nations Mr Antonio Guterres addressed the First Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA), 2nd Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Energy Ministerial Meet, 2nd Global RE-Invest Meet & Expo hosted by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy in New Delhi.
- The three events were inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and continued till October 5, 2018.
- In his address in the 1st ISA Assembly, he announced the Climate Summit to be held in December 2019 which will be convened by him. The summit will bring climate action to the top of international agenda.
- In the 2nd IORA meeting, 2 MOUs were signed – one with IORA and the other with United Nations Environment.
Attending the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention:
On October 2, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and United Nations Secretary–General Antonio Guterres attended the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention in New Delhi.
- It was organized by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation to mark the beginning of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Here he also delivered a lecture at the India Habitat Centre on the theme of ‘Global challenges, global solutions’.
- Fifty-three Ministers of Sanitation from around the world and more than 160 international representatives from 68 countries are participating in the convention.
- He appraised India’s commitment to attain Sustainable Development Goals.
Commemorative postage stamps on Mahatma Gandhi, and a medley CD based on Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite hymn – “Vaishnav Jana To” were launched.
Attending the ‘Champions of Earth’ ceremony
On October 3, 2018, the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres presented the Champions of the Earth’ award to PM Narendra Modi.
- The award is shared between PM Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron.
- This was announced at the UN General Assembly held in New York in September 2018.
Inaugurating the new UN House in New Delhi:
On October 1, 2018, Secretary General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres formally inaugurated the UN House in the national capital Delhi.
Meeting With Indian Delegation
Meeting with PM Narendra Modi
- On October 2, 2018, the PM and UN Secretary-General had delegation level talks regarding global issues such as climate change and terrorism.
- Cooperation between the UN and India on strengthening capacity in combating terror financing were discussed.
Meeting with Speaker of the Lok Sabha Sumitra Mahajan
- On October 2, 2018, UN secretary-General met Speaker of the Lok Sabha Sumitra Mahajan.
- He proceeded to address the India Habitat Centre on Global Affairs on the theme ‘Global challenges, global solutions’.
Meeting with External Affairs Minister:
- On October 3, 2018, United Nations Secretary-General met the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- They held discussion on key issues such as: UN Security Council reforms, Climate Change, other areas of mutual interest .
Meeting with the President:
- On October 4, 2018, United Nations Secretary-General met President Ram Nath Kovind.
- They discussed on reform of the UN Security Council as per the challenges of the 21st century.
- Along with India, Brazil, Germany and Japan have also opted for the reforms for the UNSC.
♦ Headquarters: New York.
♦ Founded: 24, October 1945.