The Giuseppina (Giusi) Nicolini has awarded the peace prize by UNESCO.She is the mayor of the Italian island of Lampedusa.
- Giusi has been awarded for her commitment to saving the lives of migrants and refugees.
- The UNESCO on 19 April 2017 also awarded the Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize to Giuseppina Nicolini as well as to the nongovernmental organization SOS Mediterranee (France).
- Joaquim Chissano, the acting President of the Jury of the (Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize) has given this award.
- He examines the condition and mentioned that migrants and refugees is one of the crucial issues of current scenario.
- In the Mediterranean where nearly 13,000 men, women and children have perished in shipwrecks since 2013.
- After becoming Mayor Nicolini has done a commendable job for refugees and also permits the arrival of thousands of refugees on the shores of Lampedusa and elsewhere in Italy.
- SOS Mediterranee is a European organization working for the rescue of people in distress in the Mediterranean.
About Peace Prize :
The Felix Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize was established in 1989 by a resolution supported by 120 countries.
- The resolution was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO at its 25th session.
- The Prize is intended to honour living individuals and active public or private bodies or institutions that have made a significant contribution to promoting, seeking, safeguarding or maintaining peace, in conformity with the Charter of the United Nations and the Constitution of UNESCO.
- Past laureates of the Prize included French President Francois Hollande, Nelson Mandela, Jimmy Carter and others.
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Heads: Irina Bokova, Kōichirō Matsuura
- Founded: 16 November 1945, London, United Kingdom